January in Utah brings snow and stars to Utah. For one insane week January 12-15, 2012, the best action sports filmmakers, world-class and iconic athletes, entertainment moguls and culture enthusiasts gather together in Salt Lake City to celebrate action sports. This year the 12th annual GoPro X-Dance Action Sports Film Festival pushes the play button at screening and party headquarters at The Depot (13 North 4th West; 801-456-2800 www.depotslc.com).
In its 12th year, X Dance has cemented itself as the leading action sports film festival in the world. Launched in 2001 and coinciding each year with Robert Redford’s Sundance Film Festival, X Dance showcases the top action sports films selected from over 100 plus submissions. With post screening Q&A’s with film makers and athletes, X Dance also features open forum panels with athletes, film makers, industry figures and icons from the sports world, this festival roots itself from the core of the industry while feeding the adrenaline and creativity of the mind.
“With great enthusiasm, Salt Lake City welcomes back the GoPro X-Dance Action Sports Film Festival. Now in its 12th year, X-Dance has created a solid legacy as the premier action sports film festival. We are thrilled to have our city host this ongoing festival that celebrates the actions sports culture. Utah and the Salt Lake area are the perfect backdrop for X-Dance as it is a multisport and multi-season playground for top athletes and enthusiasts,” exclaims Scott Beck, President & Chief Executive Officer of Visit Salt Lake.
This year’s line-up features incredible athletic talent like speed demon snowboarder Shaun Palmer, extreme skier Seth Morrison, aloha surfer Jamie O’Brien, snowboard medalist Scotty Lago, and downhill mountain biking madmen Gee Atherton and Sam Hill. Curt Morgan from Brain Farm, the director/producer of That’s It, That’s All, has a new epic film this year called The Art of FLIGHT that follows snowboarder Travis Rice around the globe as he conquers new terrain. The film’s cinematography is mesmerizing, shot with a Phantom and a Cineflex, the same cameras used to shoot the Super Bowl and “Planet Earth.” Top wakeboarder Danny Harf will also attend the festival to present his film, Defy. Legendary filmmaker Jack McCoy will also be at X-Dance with his film A Deeper Shade of Blue, which explores the roots and soul of surfing from the perspective of this legendary action sports filmmaker. McCoy has also put together a stunning music video called Blue Sway with Paul McCartney that will be screened as well. McCoy will be honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at X-Dance 2012.
“It truly is the best of action sports. Nowhere else will you find all of the top athletes and filmmakers under one roof,” says surfing legend Laird Hamilton, a long-time X-Dance supporter.
The 4-day festival will include:
- Screenings open to the Public of top action sports films from industry stalwarts like Brain Farm, Red Bull, TGR, Sweetgrass, Sherpas, Standard Films, and Jack McCoy, as well as noteworthy work by emerging talent and world premieres. Screenings run Thursday, January 12 through Saturday, January 14 and will occur at The Depot (www.depotslc.com). 400 W. South Temple, Salt Lake City, UT; 801.355.5522. Films start at noon on Thursday and run through Saturday evening the 14thth. For the detailed schedule go to www.x-dance.com.
- Parking for The Depot screenings includes the Gateway Mall, parking lots or on street for a fee. Tickets are $8 per film, $5 for students. $15 for a day passes. $30 for a 3-day pass. $25 for students. Tickets available at SMITH TIX and The Depot Box Office. All ages!
- Swag Town: Attendees has access to action sports swag, the latest products and sampling from X-Dance’s favorite action sports brands at a special area at The Depot for festival goers.
- World Premieres like Miserable Champion, Shaun Palmer’s new documentary by Brad Holmes with Standard Films; Jack McCoy’s A Deeper Shade of Blue.
- Opening Party on Thursday, January 12 presented by Red Bull after The Art of FLIGHT screening. Live entertainment. Open to Public. Doors at 10 p.m. Tickets available at The Depot Box Office. www.depotslc.com
- X-Dance Awards Ceremony and Closing Party will be held on Sunday, January 15 at The Depot at 7pm. Industry stars and celebrities join bands and DJs to celebrate the best in action sports filmmaking, while the extraordinary VJ, transforms the enormous room into a mesmerizing, wall-to-wall montage of action sports imagery. OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. Ticket info: www.x-dance.com.